Monday, April 2, 2012

1 Samuel 1

1 Samuel is such a rich book; take your time in it and enjoy it!

Every time I read the account of Hannah, I am humbled by her attitude and unwillingness to lash back at her rival. Can you imagine having to share your husband with another woman? How about with one who hates you and takes every opportunity to be nasty to you - not just behind your back, but to your face? And this didn't just happen once. Notice verse 7 (chapter 1): "It happened year after year..." (NASB)
Year after year! Can you imagine enduring that? Would you endure that?

There is no evidence that Hannah ever lashed back at Peninnah. Instead there is evidence she ran to the LORD - verse 10, "She was deeply distressed and prayed to the LORD and wept bitterly."

Like I said, I'm humbled by her attitude and unwillingness to lash back. I have to admit that I don't think I would put up with the verbal abuse year after year. I am amazed and challenged by Hannah. What an example for us as women! Run to the LORD instead of running off at the mouth (to put it bluntly!).
Let's make that one of our resolutions for the year.

2 comments:

  1. I finally got caught up last week! Riding along with Bruce to ND last week helped and also audio while working. I found my long stint in the truck was more rewarding - got so much more out of the visual reading - audio tends to lose me but was a good way to get through Leviticus and Numbers! Always find the Psalms feed my heart and soul and make me long for more of His Word - can't say the same for Leviticus :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I did not get through the Chronological Bible in a year, but I am not going to quit - if it takes me two, that is better than not at all!

    ReplyDelete